The Disney Plus launch has officially made Mickey Mouse the new boss of streaming content with over 10 million subscribers, endless Marvel content and the entire “Simpsons” series. But could the digital powerhouse end Netflix & chill goals forever? Watch and comment below!
Idris Elba and Jonathan Majors are set to star in an upcoming all-Black western tale titled The Harder They Fall. The film, which will air exclusively on Netflix, is executive produced by Jay-Zalong with the film’s director, Jeymes Samuel.
Samuel, also known as The Bullitts, is producing the project with Jay-Z, James Lassiter and Lawrence Bender. Samuel and Jay-Z, who previously collaborated on The Great Gatsby soundtrack, will write and produce original music for The Harder They Fall.
Here’s the logline for the film co-written by Samuel and Boaz Yakin: When outlaw Nat Love (Majors) discovers that the man (Elba) who killed his parents two decades ago is being released from prison, he reunites with his gang to track his enemy down and seek his revenge.
A premiere date for The Harder They Fall has yet to be released.
Netflix revealed that Idris Elba will be joining the cast of The Harder They Fall.
The all-Black Western follows a man who is seeking revenge when he learns the man who murdered his parents is being released from prison. Elba portrays the murderer, as per Deadline. We’ve all seen the British actor portray a villain and he does one helluva job.
JAY-Z is producing the film alongside Jeymes Samuel, who is also making his directorial debut. The duo have collaborated in the past on The Great Gatsby soundtrack.
The Netflix series isn’t Idris Elba’s first Western cinema gig. He’s also starring in Concrete Cowboys, which is set to begin production this year.
But you can catch him on the big screen in Cats, which is slated to be released in December.
The veteran comedian blasted the streaming platform for offering her $500,000 for a comedy special, after previously offering Amy Schumer $11 million. “When we asked Netflix to explain the difference, why the money was so different, they said, ‘Well, we believe that’s what Mo’Nique will bring,” Mo said in a video.
Now she’s taken things up a notch and fired off a lawsuit at Netflix. TMZ reports that the suit alleges the digital platform discriminated against her. The 51-year-old noted that the Chief Communications Officer used the N-word during a 2018 conference meeting, and allowed Kevin Spacey to use the N-word during the House of Cards set.
She also noted the $14K pay gap between the actress who played Queen Elizabeth II and the actor who played Prince Philip in The Crown. Mo’Nique is suing for damages and seeking injuction with hopes that the company will change their discrimination policy.
Actor Jason Mitchell is speaking out against sexual assault allegations that were made against him earlier this year.
On Monday (Nov. 4) during his interview with New York’s Power 105.1 The Breakfast Club, Jason Mitchell took time to address both claims, denying any wrongdoing and claims that both in part are misunderstandings. In regards to his departure from Netflix’s “Desperados” in April due to an incident involving an intoxicated female co-worker at a pre-production event in Mexico, Jason states that he was simply looking out for a coworker.
“Being the person that I am, I felt responsible to make sure she got home,” Jason Mitchell said. “Because they’re already telling us, like, ‘Don’t take the Ubers, don’t trust these people, don’t jump in a cab, don’t do any of that.’ We’re in Mexico City and we’re in a foreign land and we should stick together. This isn’t where I leave her. So I make sure she got home and the next day, it kind of all slapped me in the face; I’m not sure if her and her significant other had a situation, I made sure she got home but other than that, nothing really happened.”
Jason claims that although he did nothing wrong, he was dismissed from the film with pay but without an explanation as to why he was let go, before apologizing for offending anyone.
“For anybody who’s been around me, they know I’m one of the most loving, sweet people in the world, but if I did do anything, say anything, make anybody feel any kind of way, you have my deepest apologies,” Mitchell continued. “Like, honestly, my deepest apologies. Because that was never my intention of making anybody feel any sort of way.”
“There was actually no situation with Tiffany Boone,” Jason Mitchell said. “She was put in this position because this lady, Ayanna Floyd Davis, she did come out and go to Deadline and made a statement for Tiffany Boone. I was a little taken back by the whole situation that happened, but the actual reason I got let go was because Disney saw what was going on with ‘Desperados’ and they just bought Showtime,” Mitchell explained. “So they decided not to pick up my option. And of course, I’ve been on the show for what was about to be three seasons, I was nominated for an award, so I was asking for more money and all these sorts of things and they just weren’t down to do it.”
Mitchell went onto say that while he is an avid supporter of the “Me Too” movement, it’s situations like his that make it hard to stand in solidarity when someone makes a malicious claim.
“I really hate to say this, because I’m all for the Me Too movement,” Mitchell continued. “I have two beautiful daughters who I would like to be in the business, so I’m all for the Me Too movement. But I think in this situation, Aryanna tried to use it as a really, really ugly weapon.”
According to a newly filed lawsuit, not from the company behind the controversial police interrogation technique highlighted in DuVernay’s miniseries on the Central Park jogger case.
Variety reports that John E. Reid and Associates filed a federal lawsuit on Monday (Oct. 14) against Netflix and director Ava DuVernay, claiming that it was defamed in the powerful miniseries When They See Us after the series showcased how the company’s controversial Reid Technique was used to obtain a false confession from the teens during the case in 1989. The technique is mentioned in the fourth episode of the limited series after a character confronts NYPD detective Michael Sheehan with allegations that he coerced a confession out of the five original defendants, who were later exonerated.
“You squeezed statements out of them after 42 hours of questioning and coercing, without food, bathroom breaks, withholding parental supervision,” the character states. “The Reid Technique has been universally rejected. That’s truth to you?”
The lawsuit claims that the aforementioned dialogue mischaracterizes the Reid Technique by alluding that coercion is a part of the process, and by asserting that the technique has been “universally rejected.” The suit also goes on to allege that the series caused damage to the company’s reputation and is seeking punitive damages while requesting that Netflix be barred from distributing the series in its current form.
“Defendants intended to incite an audience reaction against Reid for what occurred in the Central Park Jogger Case and for the coercive interrogation tactics that continue to be used today,” the lawsuit states. “Defendants published the statements in ‘When They See Us’ in an effort to cause a condemnation of the Reid Technique.”
In addition to requesting edits, John E. Reid and Associates are also requesting that money earned from the miniseries in its current form be paid back to the company citing that the series’ critique of the method was an unethical business practice.
Although Netflix nor DuVarney have yet to respond to the lawsuit, it is widely known that the technique does have its fair share of critics, including Wicklander-Zulawski & Associates, a firm run by two former John E. Reid and Associates employees who announced in 2017 that they would no longer teach the method due to the “risk of false confessions arising from the misuse of the approach.”
New York Comic Con 2019 is officially a wrap, outside of the fantastic cosplay, there were plenty of announcements and trailers for released.
The annual gathering of over 200,000 geeks, nerds, gamers, and blerds has come and gone. From Oct 3-6, attendees had the opportunity to partake in many activities. You could either hit the showroom floor to buy some rare collectibles, visit activations, take photos with cosplayers. If you had some extra money to blow, attend a meet and greet with the stars from your favorite shows.
If that’s what you were there for, chances are you may have not time to hit the panels from the many shows that were there to premiere new trailers or exclusive first looks. Plus on top of that, if you’re a seasoned NYCC attendee, you know those said panels fill up insanely fast once they open up. If you were one of those unfortunate people, don’t worry. We got you and will share all the trailers you might have missed.
We got some big news around AMC’s hit show The Walking Dead, who revealed season 11 is a go plus Maggie (Lauren Cohan) will be back. A new untitled original show will be joining the TWD television universe that seems to be in the future and follows a young group of survivors.
Netflix revealed the first look at the second season for Lost in Space, She-Ra’s fourth season, and Eli. We also got a trailer for The Expanse, Marvel’s Runaways, His Dark Materials, CW’s The Flash, and much more. Oh, and we also learned that the upcoming Marvel’s Avengers game will feature Kamala Khan, better known as Ms.Marvel, as a playable character when it is released next year. Hit the gallery below to check them all out.
The popular Netflix show Stranger Things is coming back for season four, the streaming service announced the hit show’s return after inking a multi-year film and series overall deal with creators Matt and Ross Duffer to produce more content.
“The Duffer Brothers have captivated viewers around the world with Stranger Things and we’re thrilled to expand our relationship with them to bring their vivid imaginations to other film and series projects our members will love,” Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said in a statement. “We can’t wait to see what the Duffer Brothers have in store when they step outside the world of The Upside Down.”
Over the summer fans binge-watched season three breaking Netflix’s streaming record and leaving them clamoring for more. But at one point many fans thought they were going to be left in the upside-down after one of the show’s stars, Caleb McLaughlin, who play Lucas, revealed to Entertainment Weekly that it was uncertain if the writers were creating a new season.
“It’s all up to the Duffers and the writers if they want to keep going,” Caleb explained to the publication. “Maybe they want to stop now. Maybe they don’t want to give anyone another season. Maybe they just want to leave you guys hanging like that. I talk to people about this all the time, we can literally leave you guys hanging on the Upside Down.”
Obviously, the Duffer brothers decided to continue and in typical Stranger Things fashion, the show’s renewal was revealed in the form of a short video clip that’s equipped with the right amount of sinister music with text that reads, “We’re not in Hawkins anymore.”
Of the deal itself, the Duffer brothers released a statement stating that Netflix has “provided the creative freedom” the duo has always “dreamed about.”
“From our first pitch meeting to the release of Stranger Things 3, the entire team at Netflix has been nothing short of sensational, providing us with the kind of support, guidance, and creative freedom we always dreamed about. We can’t wait to tell many more stories together-beginning, of course, with a return trip to Hawkins!”
As Eddie Murphy prepares to return to the comedic stage he is looking back at his iconic career. He now admits he is ashamed of some of his prior work.
Page Six is reporting that the Coming To America actor isn’t a fan of one of his most beloved projects. While promoting his forthcoming Netflix film Dolemite Is My Name the Brooklyn native was recently asked by The New York Times about Raw. In the stand-up special he poked fun at women, gays and more. He made it clear the movie isn’t his proudest moment. “I was a young guy processing a broken heart, you know, kind of an a**hole” he admitted.
He also infamously made light of the AIDS epidemic but later apologized in 1996. “I deeply regret any pain all this has caused,” he said in a formal press release. “Just like the rest of the world, I am more educated about AIDS in 1996 than I was in 1981. I think it is unfair to take the words of a misinformed 21-year-old and apply them to an informed 35-year-old man. I know how serious an issue AIDS is the world over. I know that AIDS isn’t funny. It’s 1996 and I’m a lot smarter about AIDS now.”
With shows like American Idoland The Voiceconstantly looking for that next pop star it was about time that we got a Hip-Hop version of the talent competition that’s been dominating television for the past decade and change.
Netflix will look to fill that void with their latest series Rhythm + Flow where T.I., Chance The Rapper and Cardi B will be serving as judges as contestants from LA to New York look to impress the established music stars with hopes of Hip-Hop superstardom. The first four episodes of the Hip-Hop competition are set to debut on October 9th with an additional three set to stream on October 16th that’ll feature rap battles and cyphers and the final three on October 23rd which we figure will end with a winner.
In the trailer for the upcoming series below we get a peak of the rap stars participating in the contest from east to west including the likes of Jadakiss, Quavo, and the late great Nipsey Hussle (R.I.P).
Check out the full trailer for Rhythm + Flow and let us know if you’ll be tuning in come October 9th.