Just less than two months ago (September 7), MC/producer Mac Miller died at the age of 26 in his Studio City, California residence. The native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania had recently released his fifth album Swimming, a body of work that he made with J. Cole, Jon Brion, Tae Beast, and longtime producers, ID Labs.
A cause of death has now been released to the public. TMZ has obtained the toxicology report from the L.A. County Coroner’s Office. Miller, born Malcolm McCormick, died from a reported overdose. Investigators found Fentanyl, cocaine, and alcohol in his system. The dosing was reportedly less than a lethal amount. However, the mixture of substances is believed to have been what stopped the Most Dope and REMember Music artist’s heart.
Additional details have been published by TMZ this morning (November 5), including the fact that Miller’s unresponsive body was found on his bed, in the praying position. He had blood coming from one of his nostrils. A rolled $20 bill with “powdery residue” was found in the artist’s right pocket.
A sweep of Miller’s home also found Xanax, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, and generic Adderall.
Last week, Miller’s friends and collaborations teamed for a charity event, “Mac Miller: A Celebration of Life” took place in Los Angeles. The concert included performances by Anderson .Paak, ScHoolboy Q, Alchemist, Action Bronson, Vince Staples, Chance The Rapper, Earl Sweatshirt, SZA, Travis Scott, Ty Dolla Sign, John Mayer, and Swimming collaborator, Thundercat.
The event raised money for Mac Miller Circles Fund, a nonprofit organization that supports youth arts and community-building programs in Pittsburgh.